Fumes mistaken for gas leak in state office

-A A +A
By The Staff

Employees at the Cabinet for Families and Children, located at 117 1/2 Hilltop Drive, were evacuated from their office on Thursday morning to investigate a potential gas leak.
Major Sue Johnson with Anderson County Emergency Management said employees had recently been complaining of scratchy throats and headaches.
“According to the firefighters, it smelled like electrical wires burning,” Johnson said.  
EMS and city fire determined, after checking the air quality with an air monitor, that the fumes detected by employees were most likely from a nearby tractor expelling exhaust next to the building.  
City police, EMS and city fire responded to the scene.