.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Hazardous gases produced in fire include acids, chlorine

-A A +A
By Ben Carlson

The substance that caught fire last Friday is essentially the material that coats automotive glass and prevents it from shattering.
Called polyvinyl butyral, the material is essentially stripped away from automotive glass recycled at the plant and stored in a large pile at Dlubak Glass, located at 1052 Industry Drive.
The material is “not known to contain toxic chemicals,” according to a material safety data sheet released by one of the product’s manufacturers, Dupont, in 2010.
It does, however, release a number of chemicals when burned.
“Hazardous gases/vapors produced in fires may include carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, and complex hydrocarbon oxidation products including esters, aldehydes, ketones, acids, chlorine compounds, oxides of nitrogen,” according to the data sheet.
The sheet includes firefighting instructions that say: “Keep personnel removed and upwind of fire. Wear self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) and full protective equipment.”