Man who claimed Cherokee status arrested

-A A +A

Trooper subdues Brown, takes away hammer

By Ben Carlson

A Lawrenceburg man who once claimed he was owed five live eagles and $1 million after being “kidnapped and held for ransom” by police following a traffic stop now faces a host of new charges, including allegedly threatening to kill another man.
Dalton Wayne Brown, 20, of 1093 Hammonds Creek Road was charged with third-degree terroristic threatening and harassing communications last Thursday while appearing in Anderson District Court on another charge.
That charge stemmed from his arrest Nov. 11 when Brown allegedly had a hammer in his hand while pounding on the door of a state trooper’s home at 1001 Twelve Oaks Drive in Lawrenceburg.
According to court documents, the unnamed trooper was able to take Brown to the ground and remove the hammer before officers arrived.
Brown was charged with possession of drug paraphernalia after police found a marijuana pipe in his pocket, according to court documents.
Reports say that “multiple subjects” reported that Brown had been “running around their house all night” at 545 Carlton Drive before his encounter with the state trooper.
Brown was released later that morning on a $2,500 bond.
The arrest warrant served on Brown last Thursday says that he used phone calls and text messages on Nov. 10 when he “threatened to kill” a person named Kendall Cunningham.
Brown claimed to be a member of an organization called Cherokee Country earlier this year when faced with a host of traffic charges that resulted from two traffic stops.
During both stops Brown handed police a Cherokee Country license before being charged with driving without a license, no insurance and other traffic violations.
During the first traffic stop, a state trooper learned that Brown was wanted on a Fayette County bench warrant and took him to jail, which Brown apparently considered being kidnapped.
District Court Judge Linda Armstrong required him to post a $500 surety bond following the February traffic stop, which he apparently considered being held for ransom.
During the second stop, Lawrenceburg Police officer Jeremy Cornish wrote in his complaint that Brown told him that his father had obtained his Cherokee Nation identification from “a machine” in Tennessee, according to court documents.
In March, Brown signed a consent form with the “Supreme Court of Cherokee Country,” giving it consent to “adjudicate if the complaint is deemed necessary,” according to court documents.
In asserting his rights, Brown wrote, “While Dalton Wayne Brown of the paint clan was in jail, they forcefully put hands on him and harmed him,” according to court records.
“They stole his belongings from his body and threatened him several times,” and “forced me to take a picture and fingerprints by force, all under duress.”
Brown added that he as the “right to travel the earth my any means,” and that he was “kidnapped and held 84 hours waiting for ransom.”
In a motion to dismiss the charges, Brown claimed that the federal treaty of 1791 was breached, and claims Brown is due a “standing declaratory judgment of 1 million US dollars and five live eagles.”
In another document, Brown said he wants “a fair and equitable amount for kidnapping and ransom paid, and an order to address the public officials to prevent this action from happening again.”
In October, Brown pleaded guilty to not having a drivers license and not wearing a seat belt. Other charges against him were dismissed.