- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Three people, including a Lawrenceburg woman, were charged with manufacturing methamphetamine Tuesday afternoon after being discovered living in a drainage pipe just off Highway 44.
The trio, which included a man from Harlan County and a man from Bell County, were apparently living in the pipe after being kicked out of a home on Brenda Drive two days earlier.
Lawrenceburg police declined to release any of their names pending an ongoing investigation.
Officers were tipped off when employees at the Rite Aid pharmacy at the corner of US 127 Bypass and Highway 44 called and said the trio had been in and out of the store repeatedly.
They were found in an opening in the woods between Rite Aid and the vacant Southern States building. The drainage pipe in which they were living could be seen from Highway 44.
“They had maxed out the amount of Sudafed they could legally buy, and were trying to buy camping equipment at Rite Aid,” said Officer Jeremy Cornish of the Lawrenceburg Police Department.
Cornish and Officer Teddy Melton responded to the call and parked their cruisers at Southern States to investigate.
“We went down through the tree line to sneak up on them,” Cornish said. “We crawled through the weeds and when we saw what they were doing, we drew our guns and ordered them to the ground.”
Cornish said a variety of items usually associated with making methamphetamine were found at the scene, including lithium batteries, acid and what appeared to be ether.
“There were needles loaded with what appeared to be drugs,” Cornish said.
Kentucky State Police were called to remove the acid and other items and took them to Frankfort to neutralize them, Cornish said.
The suspects were handcuffed, stripped down and hosed off in a makeshift decontamination area in front of Southern States. Members of the Anderson County Fire Department and EMS sprayed them with a combination of soap and water.
That was necessary because a meter used to detect flammable substances showed high levels on the suspects.
“They all tested positive to a level that showed they needed to be decontaminated,” said paramedic Shawna Page.
They were then transported by police to Frankfort Regional Medical Center, Cornish said.
From there they were expected to be housed at the Franklin County Regional Jail.
E-mail Ben Carlson at email@example.com.