Steps for selling, buying vehicles

-A A +A

By Jason Denny

If you have sold or intend to sell a vehicle before the end of the year, be sure that the buyer transfers the vehicle at the county clerk’s office.
Just signing the title will not remove your tax obligation for the next year.
Whoever’s name is in the AVIS System (State Transportation System) on Jan. 1 of that year is responsible for the property tax on that vehicle for that entire year. 2014 property taxes will be entered into the AVIS System by the Revenue Department on Jan. 1.
If you buy a vehicle from an individual this year, you will pay usage tax (sales) at the time of transfer. If you buy a vehicle from a dealer, you will most likely pay the usage tax (sales) to them and they will pay our office when they submit the paper work for transfer.
Normally the owner of the vehicle will pay that amount in their birth month or upon renewing their vehicle license (sticker).
However, you can pay property tax before your renewal date. Some use their tax return and pay property tax early in the year and renew their vehicles registration when it comes due.
Renewal notices are mailed by the revenue department 45 days before the expiration date. Our office will be closed on Tuesday, Dec. 31 for the New Year’s holiday so remember to come in by Dec. 30.
Junking a vehicle
If you have sold or plan to sell a vehicle for scrap, you must bring the title and license plate to our office and pay $3 to “junk” or remove that vehicle from your name. All taxes must be paid on that vehicle before this can take place.
This must be done before the end of the year to avoid 2014 taxes. Just selling a vehicle for scrap does not remove your obligations. Our office will be closed on Tuesday, Dec. 31 for the New Year’s Holiday.
Voter registration
Any registered voter wishing to change their party affiliation to be eligible to vote in the May primary election must do so by Dec. 30, 2013. Anyone that changes his or her party affiliation after Dec. 31 will not be allowed to vote in the May primary. Our office will be closed on Dec. 31 for the New Year’s holiday.
Please feel free to contact our office regarding questions about these topics as well as any others at 502-839-3041. Our website address is: http://andersoncountyclerk.ky.gov. Links to the Department of Revenue, Department of Transportation and State Board of Elections are there for your convenience. All necessary forms are on those sights. Our office will be closed Dec. 24 and Dec. 25 for Christmas as well as Dec. 31 and Jan. 1 for New Year’s.

Jason Denny is the Anderson County Clerk.