Students ignite journalism fire

-A A +A
By Meaghan Downs

To be a journalist is like being on fire.  
Extinguish one flame — deadlines, disgruntled readers or writer’s block — and more start to smolder in its place.
I’ve toured a prison and endured its pat-down policy, been essentially banned from a senior center, and had my student newspaper pulled from the racks for publishing a story about an Ecstasy drug bust on campus.
So it’s nice to remind myself sometimes why I voluntarily chose this profession.
All it took was another newspaper.
The Turner Times staff, composed of 30 students from Turner Elementary, are probably the greenest of rookie reporters.  
They are fourth and fifth graders, after all.
And although there is more than a decade of life experience between us, our concerns about being members of the media are eerily alike.
Deadline pressure, the embarrassment of public mistakes, writer’s block.
I asked the same quest0ion of those students I interviewed, “Why do you like working for the newspaper?”
Not every answer was the same.
But I was impressed with one student’s reply about a story she was particularly proud of: “I just don’t want them to read it and be done, I want them to do something about it.”
Her answer was what I needed to hear and remember.
That’s passion. That’s a flame you don’t want to snuff out.  

Remembering Pearl Harbor
Today marks the 70th anniversary of the attacks on Pearl Harbor, “the day of infamy.”
As the years pass, living survivors are dwindling. There are only about 8,000 Pearl Harbor survivors left in the United States, out of the 84,000 Americans who witnessed the original Japanese attack on the American base.
Clyde Stratton called the news office to remember one such Pearl Harbor survivor, the late Roy “Doc” Moore Sr., a close friend of Stratton’s.
Moore went into the army sometime in 1941, he said.
Stratton believes that, to his knowledge, Moore was the only one in Anderson County to be stationed near Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941.  
He was stationed in Honolulu at the Schofield Barracks Army post, Stratton said, at the time of the attacks.
“And he was a witness to all of that, and of course, could have lost his life to it, but didn’t,” he said.
Moore came back safe and sound to Anderson County. Stratton said he went on to manage a liquor store in Lawrenceburg for many years.
If any other readers know of people who witnessed the attacks at Pearl Harbor 70 years ago, please contact the newspaper office at 839-6906 or e-mail mdowns@theandersonnews.com. We’d love to see photos, journal entries or anything else that you can uncover.