Trial dates set for three charged with tying up child

-A A +A

Venue hearing will be May 28

By The Staff

Trial dates have been set for the three people who allegedly tied up a 3-year-old girl for up to 16 hours each day.
Where those trials will occur has not been settled, but a change of venue hearing is scheduled for May 28 in Anderson Circuit Court at 9 a.m.
The child’s grandmother, Carolyn Case, is scheduled for trial for Dec. 9-11. The child’s mother, Rebecca Medley, is scheduled for trial Jan. 13-15, 2014. The child’s stepfather, Herbert Medley, is scheduled for trial Jan. 16-17, 2014, according to documents on file in Anderson Circuit Court.
All three were charged last year with first-degree criminal child abuse following an investigation by Kentucky State Police.
They have all entered pleas of not guilty.
A trial was scheduled for earlier this year but was put on hold for a variety of reasons, including a request for a change of venue by one of the attorneys.
That request was made about two months ago, and Judge Charles Hickman is likely to rule on the request during the May 28 hearing.
Case, the grandmother, reportedly told troopers that the 3-year-old was tied to her bed from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. each day.
She also acknowledged that the child was also tied to the bed for a two-hour nap, and spent an additional four hours tied up for discipline, according to the documents. She was also tied up to a booster seat in a kitchen chair for up to an hour a day for discipline.
The child was tied up with a curtain sash by lacing it through the arm holes in her shirt and behind her back.
It was then fastened to the bed using a large horse collar safety pin, according to court documents. The sash was also used to tie her to a kitchen chair.
Case, the grandmother, told investigating troopers with the Kentucky State Police that the girl “spent more time tied up than free,” according to documents.
Case also told investigators that she was tied up because she was “getting out of bed and getting into things,” and that she was trying to “get out of the residence when everyone was asleep.”
Case added that the girl’s mother, Rebecca Medley, “would tie [the girl] up very tightly and that [her] movement was very impaired and she was not able to escape.”
The girl was being tied up from June 1 through Aug. 3, when a child protective services worker alerted the state police.
Herbert Medley told police he knew about the girlbeing tied up but “felt he could not tell anyone because Case had threatened to kick them out of the residence.”
He said that Case started the practice and showed his wife how to do it.