Way We Were: 22 percent of tobacco crops destroyed

-A A +A

From our readers
I just wanted to make you aware of a correction in this week’s “Way” column.  
Under the obituary of Mrs. Lucille Gordon DePoyster, what is now Dowling Hall was never the Gordon-Gash Funeral Home.  It was only the old Gordon Funeral Home until it closed in the late 1970s.  There were new owners in March of 1961 who purchased the home from the Gordon family.  My uncle, Gordon Jenkins, was one of those owners.  I worked there under the guidance of the late Vernon Record until it closed.  
Mrs. DePoyster was an early owner of what is now Gash Memorial Chapel.  When Gash opened in the late 60s, it was then known as Gordon-Gash Funeral Home, later changing just to Gash.  
Thought maybe you would to know the true history of these two funeral homes.
 David Hartley, Louisville

Flim Flam Man
In the July 3  “Way We Were:” page we ran a photo of a huge crowd of people on the street and on the lawn of the courthouse. It was labeled “Possible political rally.”
We received a response from Ezra Gash that the photo was taken during the filming of the movie “The Flim Flam Man,” which was filmed here in 1966.
At the left of the photo was the Clayton Hotel, that was in the movie, but not an actual hotel here.

Aug. 1, 1963
Billy Bob Smith has been showing his Holstein cattle at surrounding county fairs, getting ready to enter the state fair.
He took a second place ribbon for Junior Calf; third place ribbons on Senior Calf and Senior Yearling; fourth place on Junior Yearling; sixth on 2-year-old cow; and ninth on Senior Yearling at Nicholasville.
At the Harrodsburg Fair he won second Junior Calf and Senior Calf; third on 2-year-old cow, sixth and eighth on Senior Yearling; and seventh on Junior Yearling.
Competing against 35 entries in each class, he took a blue ribbon in the Junior Calf division, red in Senior Calf Group and Senior Yearling class at the Blue Grass Fair in Lexington.
He is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Billy Smith.

Wright scores with 80-pound grouper
Dale Wright won a trophy when he landed the largest fish caught from Bal Harbour, a whopping 4-foot, 80-pound Warsaw grouper.
He had gone deep sea fishing with Captain V. H. Spaulding of Springfield.
He and Charlotte Bowen, were vacationing with Dale’s parents, the Rev. and Mrs. Carl Wright, in Florida.
Dale caught some bonito and dolphin during the outing and the next night the Bal Harbour hotel owner had his chef prepare a dolphin dinner and serve it to his Lawrenceburg guests in the main dining room.

Hummingbird nest found
Many of us occasionally see a hummingbird, but few are lucky enough to find this marvelous little bird’s nest.
Byford Cunningham was turtle hunting the other day and while wading along Thompson’s Creek in Mercer County, he spotted such a nest on a tree limb about four feet above the water.
The nest was about the size of a half-dollar and constructed of what appeared to be cotton held together with spider web. The nest was camouflaged by lichen on the outside.

Willie Donald Stratton, 51, died at Central Baptist Hospital in Lexington following a heart attack. He was an employee of the Savage Lumber Co. of Lexington. Survivors included his parents, Mr. and Mrs. John D. Stratton, and two sons, Willie Donald Stratton Jr. and Jackie Lewis Stratton.
James Martin Shirley, 68, retired police chief of Lawrenceburg, died in a Danville hospital. He served as police chief most of the nine years he was on the local force. Before that he served 10 years with the Harrodsburg department.

Aug, 4, 1983
Page Atkins, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Atkins Jr., was among 11 members of the incoming freshman class that were named Brown Honor Scholars at Centre College.
Leslie B. McCoun, 80, a retired farmer, died at the Frankfort hospital. Survivors included his wife, Loretta Drury McCoun and three sons, W.T., Bobby and Donald.
Dr. Edward Irvin Scrivner, a retired Lexington dentist died at his home. He was a brother to Mrs. R.E. Garrison of Lawrenceburg. Additional survivors included a niece and nephew, Frances Garrison and R. Elliott Garrison.
Elvin ‘Les’ McAnly, 96, Danville, died July 29. Survivors included two sons, Ray and Carl McAnly, and a daughter, Thelma Brown.
Opha B. Ross, 70, died at her home in Springfield. Survivors included three sisters, Ethel Drury, Mrs. Ollie Baker and Willie Holiday and two half sisters, Etta Oldham and Lena Clark.
William E. Mitchell, 69, Wichita, Kansas, died of cancer. She was the owner of American Fabric and Upholstery in Wichita. Survivors included his wife; three sons; two daughters; a brother; and a sister, Susie Blockson, of Lawrenceburg.

July 29, 1998
Wind, rain and flooding caused $750,000 in damage to tobacco crops with extensive damage from Anderson City Road to the tail waters of Taylorsville Lake.
The Stevens family collectively lost 35 acres with 25 of it completely gone, covered with mud. They were irrigating the smaller tobacco to wash the mud out of the buds, in hopes it would save it.
Justin Stevens was raising tobacco in Elmer ‘Wig’ Edmondson’s Salt River bottoms. It not only damaged the crop but Edmondson had three wagons float away. He had located one frame in Glensboro.
George Blakeman, who had tobacco at the corner of Hwy 44 and Anderson City Road, had lost five of his 15 acres.
“I thought Sunday, it was the best tobacco I’d had in that patch for a while,” Blakeman said. “Monday it was gone. It makes you about half sick.”
An estimated 200 acres of Anderson County tobacco crops were damaged by flooding and wind — about 22 percent of the entire crop, said Marna Bollinger of the Farm Services Agency.

Marine Pvt. Mark Riggenbach, son of Mark and Cherie L. Riggenbach, completed Motor Transport School. He received classroom and hands-on instruction on the operation of the M-151 Jeep and the new M-293 automatic five-ton truck.

Daisy Johnson Beasley, 87, widow of Lisco Beasley, died at her home. She was a 60-year-member of the Pigeon Fork Baptist Church. Survivors included Lisco Beasley Jr.; and three daughters, Juanita Reese, Ruby Camic and Joyce Perry.
Charles ‘Tag’ Hatter, 83, King’s Mountain, father of Leonard and Bobby Hatter, of Lawrenceburg, died. He was a retired employee of the Southern Railroad and a farmer.
Jesse Clyde Thomas Sr., 92, died in a Taylorsville health care facility. He was a son of the late Henry and Mary Burris Thomas and a mechanic. Survivors included his wife, Gillia Katherine Barbour Thomas; two sons, Jesse Thomas Jr., and Daniel E. Thomas.