Frank Hopper said he would have crawled from his burning apartment at 126 Cardinal St. to escape the fire that was smoldering upstairs.
He didn’t have to. Instead, Hopper’s neighbors made sure he, other neighbors and even some pets made it out safely Monday morning.
Hopper, who has one leg and is wheelchair bound, lives in an apartment building that caught fire when a space heater ignited a pile of clothes on the second floor.
Jessica Monroe, who lives in the apartment next door, awoke when she smelled something burning around 9:30 a.m.