.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Today's News

  • Teen saves choking grandmother

    Shelby Phillips is always happy to get a visit from her granddaughter, but Tuesday, Oct. 26 provided a visit neither will soon forget.
    Phillips and her 18-year-old granddaughter, Deanna Zeitz, were sitting around enjoying a snack, when Phillips started choking on a potato chip.
    Phillips is on oxygen and says she doesn’t have any teeth.
    “So I didn’t have any business eating them anyway,” she said.
    But one of the chips went down the wrong way, blocking her airway.

  • COLUMN: Nasty judge’s race finally comes to end

    Column as I see ’em …
    Between the flat-out lies that have been told and the cowards who have scurried around like disease-spreading rodents attempting to anonymously smear those they don’t like, this judge-executive election was among the nastiest I’ve ever seen.

  • COLUMN: An education celebration

    Friday afternoon I was lucky enough to be invited to a celebration at Emma B. Ward Elementary School.
    I received an invitation to the event in the mail at least a week ahead of time (who doesn’t love advance notification?) and looked forward to attending ever since putting the date in the calendar on my smart phone.

  • COLUMN: In cold, keep animals’ needs in mind

    Happy November.
    October must have been flying on a broomstick, because it sure went by fast. This month is just chocked full of stuff to do, including finally bringing in the hoses and laying down extra mulch. I got 1.38 inches of rain here on the farm and I’m grateful for every drop.
    It’s amazing how fast the grass greened up. We still need lots more of the wet stuff to bring us out of this drought, but I’m pretty sure we’ll get it soon enough. The temperature drop will help as well.

  • Saffell students cast ballots in mock election

    Students at Saffell Street Elementary School took part in the democratic process last Thursday as they cast ballots in the National Student/Parent Mock Election.

  • Warrants, without the wait

    A Lawrenceburg man blows off a court appearance in Louisville, convinced that it will take a week or two before police here will be wised up to the bench warrant issued by a Jefferson County judge.

  • Burn ban remains in effect

    With approximately 50 acres already scorched by assorted wildfires, the burn ban in Anderson County is alive and well and still in force.
    That’s according to Anderson County Fire Chief Mike Barnes, who on Monday reiterated that outdoor burning of any kind is strictly prohibited and violators can be ticketed and fined.
    “A person burning can be cited and fined and, should a fire burn onto someone else’s property, they can be held responsible for any damage,” Barnes said.

  • Robert B. Turner Elementary School Honor Roll

    Robert B. Turner Elementary School recently announced its students named to the honor roll for the first grading period.

    Third grade

    Mrs. Hutton

    All A’s
    Tanner Cornish
    Dalton Crane
    Spencer Davis
    Dustin Hunt
    Ben Jennings
    Anthony Jones
    Cekiera Nation
    Drew Smith
    Gracie Snider
    Jessica Watson

    All A’s and B’s
    Kieran Birdwhistell
    Korbin Blankenship
    Zachary Fields

  • Saffell Street Elementary School Honor Roll

    Saffell Street Elementary School recently announced its students named to the honor roll for the first nine weeks.

    Fourth grade

    Shields

    All A’s
    Nich Kiem
    Thomas Holmes

    Dadisman

    All A’s and B’s
    Cassidy Smith
    Audrey Rice
    Chloe Phelps
    Keagan Hill

    Woods

    All A’s and B’s
    Emma Zeller
    Shjon Ripy
    Matthew Lunsford

  • School board OKs emergency boiler replacement

    Members of the Anderson County Board of Education are hoping for warm daytime temperatures at least for a couple more weeks — and for good reason.
    An emergency replacement of the boiler at Anderson County High School is scheduled to be completed by Nov. 19.
    Maintenance Director Bryan Drury said his staff started to switch the two-pipe system from cooling to heating about three weeks ago. However, when initiating that switch, they found a water leak.
    “We found a crack in the end section,” Drury said.