Firefighters extinguish Lawrenceburg industrial park fire

-A A +A

Residents return to normal water usage

By The Staff

Firefighters reduced a mountain of flaming vinyl material to smoldering ashes after battling a massive fire Friday near the Dlubak Glass Company in the Lawrenceburg industrial park.


A four-story tall pile of vinyl and glass — what appeared to be the material that prevents windshields from shattering like normal glass — burst into flames at about noon Friday.

Emergency management asked all city and county residents to conserve water as firefighters tried to control the blaze. Residents were able to resume normal water usage later that afternoon.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation by the Lawrenceburg city fire department.

The fire's heat was so intense, an Anderson News reporter at the scene said, firefighters were forced to pull away from the scene, attempting to put out the fire by laying hoses on the ground and angling them toward the flames. One firefighter was said to have become overcome from the heat.

No one was seriously injured in the fire.

Nearby Carey's Towing brought road equipment, creating a path for fire trucks to get to the fire's eastern side where a large diesel fuel tank was located.

Several fire departments from surrounding counties responded to Lawrenceburg's aid, including firefighters from Lexington, Franklin, Jessamine and Versailles.

Emergency Management Director Bart Powell said residents in Anderson County did not need to be evacuated mostly because of the weather.

The wind was taking the smoke high in the sky, at least a 100 feet up, he said, and the smoke only touched the ground once.

According to sources at the scene, the Phoenix Academy and YKK were evacuated due to the fire.

The Kentucky Environmental Response team was at the scene and the state health department was consulted about air quality, Powell said. The emergency management team determined air quality monitoring was not necessary because the smoke was high enough in  the air.

According to Powell, as of Friday afternoon at 6:15 p.m., there was no hazard regarding air quality. Any minimal exposure should not create an issue, he said.

"By the time we would have had air monitoring in here, we had the fire out. We had eliminated all the issues," he said.

The R.J. Corman Railroad Company out of Nicholasville assisted to help put the fire out, according to Powell. The company had to spread out the burning vinyl material and cover it with dirt to extinguish the flames, he said.

There were at least two small explosions, possibly from propane tanks, heard from an unknown source as the fire burned, a reporter at the scene said.

Readers tweeted and e-mailed numerous photos of the industrial park fire from their residences, the Anderson County courthouse, Kentucky State University and the Bluegrass Regional airport in Lexington.

Others said the fire could be seen as far away as Nicholasville, Georgetown, Harrodsburg, Lexington and Waddy.