Officer in fatal Shelbyville shooting formerly from Lawrenceburg

-A A +A

Fallis graduated from school here, worked for Lawrenceburg PD

The Shelbyville police officer involved in the fatal shooting of a woman Oct. 24 served with the Lawrenceburg Police Department in the 1990s and is a graduate of Anderson County High School.

Frank Fallis, 46, has been placed on administrative leave following the shooting of Ashleigh Bertucci, 31, of St. Matthews, who the Kentucky State Police say was armed at the time of the shooting.

Fallis has been a police officer for 25 years. Following his service in Lawrenceburg, Fallis joined the Frankfort Police Department. He has only been with the Shelbyville Police Department for a few months after retiring from Frankfort, according to the Kentucky State Police.

Bertucci was pronounced dead after the shooting, which occurred outside a home in the Dominion Homes Cloverbrook subdivision off Mount Eden Road near the I-64 interchange, according to a report in The Sentinel News in Shelbyville.

KSP reports that the incident happened at 9:45 p.m. Monday when the Fallis responded to a call for a welfare check at 3028 Mary Crest Drive in the subdivision across from Cracker Barrel

When Fallis  arrived at the home, he immediately observed a vehicle that police had been instructed to be on the lookout for.

When officers made contact with Bertucci she was armed and during the confrontation, the officer discharged his firearm, hitting her.

KSP spokesperson Bernis Napier said that investigators would not release the name of the officer until later in the week after he is interviewed.

“It will be three or four days – we have to give him forty-eight hours by statute before we can interview him,” said Napier said at the time.

It is believed that Bertucci came to Shelbyville looking for her boyfriend, according to information from her family given to the St. Matthews police, which is what prompted the welfare check on Mary Crest Drive.

Shelby County Chief Deputy Coroner Jeff Ivers said Bertucci died from a single gunshot wound but declined to say where on her body she was shot.

Ivers said that paramedics tried to resuscitate Bertucci.

“They were performing CPR on her at the scene, and while en route to the hospital,” he said. “Once they got to the hospital, they worked on her for a short period of time, then they called the code.”