Police: Alton woman wanted her husband murdered

-A A +A

Wife, accused shooter behind bars after husband shot in face


An Alton woman police say wanted her husband murdered and the man they suspect of shooting him are both behind bars.

Amanda Renea Rogers, 36, of 1140 Alton Road, Lot 24, is charged with solicitation of murder for allegedly conspiring with Jason Patrick Downs, 28, of 214 East Court St., Lawrenceburg to have her husband, Christopher Rogers, killed.

Christopher Rogers was shot in the face Wednesday morning at his home, according to reports on file in the Anderson County Courthouse. He was transported to an area hospital and has reportedly undergone surgery. His condition was not available as of this report.

A report filed by the Kentucky State Police says Downs and another man, Dylan Watkins, were spotted by neighbors running away from Rogers’ residence Wednesday morning before getting into a van and leaving. Eyewitnesses helped police determine Downs was driving the vehicle, according to a police report.

Troopers later interviewed Watkins, who said he and Downs were there at the residence at the time of the shooting. Watkins told police he was walking ahead of Downs when he heard a gunshot and that Downs had a gun in his possession, according to police reports.

Watkins said Downs was in the area of the home’s air conditioning unit at the time of the shooting. Troopers say they later found a 9 mm round and spent shell casing near the air conditioning unit.

Amanda Rogers allegedly discussed wanting her husband killed several times with Downs, according to a police report. Downs, police said, had also discussed killing her husband, police said.

During one of their conversations, Amanda Rogers and Downs not only allegedly discussed killing her husband, they also discussed his life insurance policy, according to police reports.

Troopers arrested Downs early Friday morning at his Court Street residence and charged him with first-degree assault, according to a citation.

Downs and Amanda Rogers both remain incarcerated on $100,000 cash bail. Both are scheduled to be arraigned Monday morning in Anderson District Court.