Way We Were: Tyrone Quarry selected as fallout shelter

-A A +A

In the photo of the Lawrenceburg High Band that ran Dec. 12 the young fellow just to Leslie Toll’s right, who is not identified, looks very much like Phil Swift, according to an email from Jim McKee.
McKee says the fellow identified as Phil Swift, does not look like him and is holding a clarinet, but Phil was a very good trumpet player and the other guy is holding a trumpet.
“I wonder if the young man standing directly beneath the bell of the Sousaphone might be Billie Humston,” wrote McKee. “His two older brothers are there — Eddie and Charles.”

Jan. 3, 1963
Susan Mary Walker was pictured taking the oath of office as Circuit Clerk of Anderson with retiring clerk Lizzie Witherspoon witnessing the ceremony.
After taking the oath, she walked across the hallway to her office and was stricken with a cerebral hemorrhage. She later died at King’s Daughters Hospital.
Mrs. Witherspoon, who had served for the past 24 years, was then reinstated as circuit clerk.
Mrs. Walker had been named by Judge Coleman Wright to fill the unexpired term of Mrs. Witherspoon, who had notified him about 10 days before that she wanted to retired in January.

Harold Peach purchased Main Street property, formerly the site of a baker, from the owner Dudley Shryock.

Carl Wayne Stoner, son of Mr. and Mrs. Silva Stoner Jr., had been a patient at King’s Daughters Hospital over the weekend. He was improving at home.

The Kentucky Stone rock quarry at Tyrone had been approved and was marked as an official fallout shelter, according to Civil Defense Director Truman Birdwhistell.
The quarry would be stocked with both food and water as soon as a license from the company could be obtained.
The regional Civil Defense director said the shelter was approved for 83,600 people, the largest shelter in this area. The underground area covered about 17 acres.
In addition to the quarry, the basement of the U.S. Post Office and the educational building of the First Baptist Church were approved as shelters. The post office would accommodate 23 persons and the church 86 persons. Birdwhistell said those two locations would probably be used for administrative purposes.

Paul W. Hanks succeeded W.E. Chowning as master of Anderson Lodge No. 90.
Other officers were Major Wheat, senior warden; Cecil Cinnamon, junior warden; Tommy Cotton, senior deacon; C.R. Sparrow, junior deacon, Edward Lacefield, secretary; W.J. Smith, treasurer; J.R. Cox, senior steward; Hollie Warford, Tyler; Roger Hardin, chaplain; and Schelma Meriwether, degree team captain.

STOP! —Large, reflectorized stop signs were to become standard equipment on all school buses purchased in the future by Kentucky school districts. The sign, mounted on the side of the bus, was to be flipped out whenever the vehicle stopped, giving motorists in both directions an easily visible warning to stop.
Susan Mary Walker, 65, deputy county clerk for 29 years, died less than an hour after receiving the oath as the new Anderson County Circuit Clerk, from a cerebral hemorrhage.
Willie C. Cahill, 76, retired farmer and painter, died Jan. 3. He had been in ill health for several years. Survivors included his wife, Ruby Young Cahill and a daughter, Mrs. Wilma Case.
Oren McMichael, 83, a retired farmer, died at his home near Mackville after a long illness. He was father to eight daughters and seven sons and had a sister and brother, Mrs. Kate Leathers and Cleo McMichael, of Lawrenceburg.
James Walter Lynn, 79, a retired garment designer, died at his home following an illness. He was married to Sally McMurry Lynn.
William Robert Gritton, 59, a farmer, died after an accidental bromide poisoning. He was survived by his wife, Mrs. Mary Gritton, his mother, Mrs. W. H. Gritton, a foster son, three brothers and three sisters.
Clarence Lester Hawkins, 75, retired farmer, died after an illness. He was married to Cordie Riley Hawkins and had three daughters and eight sons.
Gad Davis Hawkins, 85, died at the King’s Daughters Hospital following a heart attack. He had been a patient there following a stroke two weeks before. He was a retired farmer and was a brother to Joe Hawkins of Lawrenceburg.
Mrs. Sarah Margaret Coyle, 85, widow of C.C. Coyle, died at the Taylor Manor Nursing Home in Versailles. She was survived by five daughters, two sons, 33 grandchildren and 30 great-grandchildren, a sister and a brother, Matt Utterback, of Lawrenceburg.
Jesse Charles Adams, 51, died Jan. 1 at his home in Stringtown. He was a farm worker.

Jan. 6, 1983
Page Atkins was in Bowling Green to compete for the title of Kentucky Junior Miss. She is a daughter of George and Sue Atkins.
Mrs. Garnett Preston reported in the Pleasant Grove news that Daphne Long returned home on Wednesday from the King’s Daughters Hospital where she had surgery. Some of her visitors were Mr. and Mrs. Ellis Sweasy, Mr. and Mrs. Linwood Sweasy, Mr. and Mrs. Granvil Sweasy, Caroline Snooks, Mr. and Mrs. Garnett Preston, Josie Buckley, Lorena Briscoe, and Mr. and Mrs. Charles D. Shely.
Ricky Nethery celebrated his birthday New Year’s Day with a dinner in his honor at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Truman Nethery. Attending were: Ricky, his wife Lisa, and their son Chris, and Mrs. and Mrs. Glenn Nethery.

The Gaslight Inn on Business 127 was the scene of a burglary about 1:30 a.m. on Jan. 1.
Police said an employee reported the inn was entered either through an unlocked rear door or by opening a door lock with a screwdriver.
About $700 and several frozen pizzas were taken.

The Way We Were — The owner of The Anderson News from 1911 to 1916, Jesse March Alverson, died of a heart attack in 1952. He was 79.

John Dudley Connelly Sr., retired from the State Highway Department with 19 years of service, died at the age of 70.  
James “Abb” Albert Peak, 79, retired farmer, died Dec. 29. He was the husband of Marjorie Moore Peak.
Deanna Clements, 8-day-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Philips Wesley Clements, died Dec. 28.

Jan. 7, 1998
Alonzo Gaines was selected as Citizen of the Month.

Dixie Webb was promoted to commander in the United States Naval Reserve (Nurse Corps).
The Lawrenceburg resident was a civil job administrator at the extension campus of Midway College in Danville. She had been a member of the Navy Reserves for 10 years.
Terry L. Chrisman, 51, died of a head injury when he fell from a pickup truck outside his home at Buckley Lane. He had retired in 1995 as a major with the Lexington Fire dept. after 25 years of service. He was the co-owner of Chrisman Brothers Construction and a farmer.
Colette A. Rothermel Crane, 80, widow of Edward T. Crane, died at Central Baptist Hospital after a brief illness.
Benjamin Jerel “Jerry” Dickerson, 58, husband of Elaine Perry Dickerson, died Dec. 23. He was a maintenance employee of Boulevard Distillers.
Leslie Dawn Drury, 23, died Dec. 23 of injuries sustained in an auto accident. She was survived by a son, Tristan Scott Drury and her parents, Gerald Scott Drury and Louise Coulter Wolverton. She was an employee of Osram Sylvania in Versailles.
Anna Marie Sullivan Herndon, 67, a retired file clerk for Kentucky State Government, Dept. of Human Resources, died Dec. 27. She was survived by her husband of 36 years, Francis Lee Herndon.
Elizabeth Oakley Horn, 86, widow of Andrew B. Horn, died Dec. 31. She was retired employee of the Kentucky State Department of Transportation after 20 years of service.
John Peach Jr., 64, died at his residence. He was a farmer and had retired following 29 years of service as a utility operator and coordinator with General Electric in Louisville
Bernice Price Pinkston, 86, of Tatham Springs, died after an illness. He was a retired employee of General Electric.
Olene Drury Simpson, 82, died at her home. She was the widow of L. Peyton Simpson. She was a retired employee of the State Department of Transportation, Division of Drivers Licensing after 12 years of service.
Margaret Louise Hanks Wilson, 87, died at her residence. She was the wife of Montgomery T. Wilson and was retired from Boulevard Distillery.
Hughley Levi Cornish, 80, a retired employee of General Electric Appliance Park in Louisville where he had worked for 25 years, died at the Federal Hill Health Care Center.
Frances Pauline Phillips Burke, 68, died at Lexington hospital. She was the wife of the late Everett Ray Burke. She was a daughter of James Edward and Verlie Beatrice Riley Philips.