Today's News

  • Obamacare sign-ups in county only 10 percent

    Thousands of Anderson County residents are facing Obamacare fines now that the Dec. 23 deadline to have coverage Jan. 1 has passed.
    Only 10 percent of eligible Anderson County residents law have signed up, according to information released last week by Gov. Steve Beshear’s office, leaving 90 percent of them faced with paying fines equal to 1 percent of their income or $95, whichever is higher.

  • WRESTLING: Anderson County Middle School wrestlers successful
  • GIRLS' BASKETBALL: No. 1 Lady Bearcats entertain Franklin County in Top 5 battle

    A showdown with a Top 5 team highlights the upcoming week for the Anderson County girls' basketball team.

    The Lady Bearcats tangle with another of Kentucky's better teams when they entertain Franklin County tonight, Jan. 8, at 7:45 p.m. The game is part of a triple-header between the teams and will be preceded by the freshman teams at 5:15 and junior varsity at 6:30.

    In the Rating the State rankings that appeared in Monday's Lexington Herald-Leader, Anderson was tied with Elizabethtown for the No. 1 ranking while Franklin County came in at No. 3.

  • GIRLS' BASKETBALL: Lady Bearcats back from vacation

    TAYLORSVILLE – If every American worker returned from a vacation like the Anderson County girls' basketball team did Saturday, the economy would probably be robust in no time flat.

    Playing another team – albeit one that was terribly over-matched – for the first time in 11 days, Anderson held Spencer scoreless for the second and third quarters of a 70-8 rout.

    “We really wanted to play,” said Anderson senior Jessica Rice.

  • FOOTBALL: Cox selected to play in Border Bowl

    Anderson County football player Ross Cox has been selected to play in the annual National Guard Border Bowl football game, to be held at the University of the Cumberlands on Saturday, Jan. 11. Kickoff is set for 12:30 p.m.

  • BOYS' BASKETBALL: Bearcats to have biggest week of season

    No hype is needed for the next two dates on the Anderson County boys' basketball schedule.

    It's really very simple: Shelby County on Friday and Collins on Tuesday are the biggest regular-season games on the Bearcats' schedule. It's not even close.

    Both are 30th District foes and at least earning a split is imperative for a good seed in the district tournament at the end of the year. Win both and the Bearcats only need to beat a young, but improving, Spencer County team for the No. 1 seed.

  • Christian Academy athletes in action
  • FOOTBALL: Cox, Rose get more all-state honors from AP

    Anderson County football seniors Ross Cox and Joe Rose received more statewide recognition when they were named all-state by the Associated Press last week.

    Cox, a wide receiver, was a first team selection. He had previously been selected to the Lexington Herald-Leader's Class of the Commonwealth team and had been a third team selection on the Courier-Journal all-state team.

  • COLUMN: First half of season has brought no surprises for Anderson basketball

    It seems strange to be already talking about the mid-point of the basketball season, but that is about where we are this first full week of the year.

    The high school district tournaments get underway across Kentucky on Feb. 24, meaning this is the sixth week in a 12-week season. You do the math.

  • BASKETBALL: Ranking the Region

    Anderson News sports editor John Herndon handicaps the Eighth Region.


    1.Collins (11-2)

    Titans have been impressive in the early going and got a big win over Mason County in Indianapolis Saturday.

    2.South Oldham (10-2)

    Defending champs are off to fast start, but lost to Collins by 18.

    3.Oldham County (9-4)

    Good talent, nice size but have a puzzling loss to Owensboro on the resume.

    4.Simon Kenton (7-5)